Anúncio

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FLUFFY! Sanguinário! Baderna! Víbora! Madripoor! Tony Stark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Hora
  • Show
Clear All

• FLUFFY! Sanguinário! Baderna! Víbora! Madripoor! Tony Stark?

[hide:db176b772d]
    Tony Stark borrows a page from the Nick Fury playbook (written by Steranko, natch) in November when he heads into action himself – undercover – with gadgets in his pockets and hot women on his arms. Christos Gage (yeah, we just talked to him yesterday about his upcoming Thunderbolts: Breaking Point special) writes the story of an Iron Man without armor on the ground in Madripoor in the Iron Man: Director of SHIELD Annual #1.

We caught up with him (again) for a chat about the story, Madripoor Iron Man, tough decisions and more.

Newsarama: Chris, it's like every interview with you seems to start off with the same question, given your journeyman status, but how'd you wind up on the Iron Man Annual? Was this a spin-off of your time on the main Iron Man series?

Christos Gage: It was. Tom Brevoort was happy with my work on the World War Hulk tie-in issues of the ongoing Iron Man book (#19 and 20), so he mentioned he was interested in doing a self-contained story that captured the flavor of the old Agent of SHIELD tales or the James Bond films, and asked if I'd be interested in writing. Not that I needed much persuading, but when Tom sent me samples of the artist he had in mind, Harvey Tolibao, the mission became one I couldn't help but choose to accept!

NRAMA: What else has Harvey done?

CG: Harvey's done some great work on Dark Horse's Star Wars comics, but this is his first Marvel job. It won't be his last. Everyone at Marvel was blown away by what he turned in, and the minute he finished this Annual, he moved on to drawing my story in What If? Civil War. As for my peripatetic travels across the mighty world of Marvel, what can I say...I'm easy! I grew up loving these characters, and there aren't many I won't jump at the chance to write if it's offered to me!

NRAMA: And as you said, the basics of this story came from Tom?

CG: Right - Tom mentioned the general tone and feel of what he wanted. I thought about setting the story in an exotic locale, since many classic Bond films have that element, so I started researching Marvel hot spots, and realized that Madripoor happened to be ruled by Madame Hydra, the leader of Marvel's deadliest terrorist organization! Effecting a regime change seemed like a job tailor-made for our man Tony.

NRAMA: Let’s talk about Madripoor - what's going on there? Is it still as bad a place as it was back when Wolverine was set up there as Patch, or has it gotten respectable?

CG: It's as bad or worse. Madame Hydra is running the place, so the lawlessness that characterized it back in the day is still there, but there's also a Hydra presence, so you can probably add some WMDs, Overkill Horns and Satan Claws to the mix. All government officials can be assumed to be corrupt at best, if not outright murderers. Wolverine's old friend, Tyger Tiger, is probably the best of a bad lot...and she's a crime boss herself! Put it this way: it's not a place you want to take the kids

NRAMA: So let’s hit some of the bare bones of the story - Tony's connection to the Extremis is blocked? And then...bad things happen?

CG: Kind of. Tony can't just go in with repulsors blazing, because Madripoor is a sovereign nation and Madame Hydra is its lawful ruler. He has to avoid the kind of unilateral action that got Nick Fury forced out after Brian Bendis' Secret War story. What he needs to do is infiltrate Madripoor, find a homegrown figure who can lead a resistance, and provide support for said resistance...all while avoiding being killed, because nobody enters Madripoor without Madame Hydra knowing about it. So instead of trying, he sails in on his yacht, posing as a billionaire playboy on vacation, given that Madripoor is a playground for the idle rich...think Vegas meets Casablanca. He knows why he's really there, she knows it, and he knows she knows it, but they play the game, all the while trying to outmaneuver each other. And yes, she manages to block Tony's technology-controlling Extremis powers, but it's not as though he hadn't planned for that.

NRAMA: That said, in "Marvel time" how long has Tony had the Extremis working for him, in your view? Is losing it suddenly that much of a handicap? Does he remember how us normal folks put on their iron pants, one leg at a time?

CG: I'm not sure how long it's been, maybe a year or so (that's just my guess), but you make a good point -- Tony spent many years getting by on his smarts and skills, communicating with his armor by remote control or whatever and making the best of things when it wasn't around. So it's not like depriving him of his Extremis powers renders him helpless.

NRAMA: But Tony without his armor, or without the Extremis - where does he fit in on the continuum between Jerry Lewis and Jack Bauer? Even without his armor, he's pretty badass, right?

CG: Thanks to Extremis, Tony has a peak human physique, and he was trained to fight by Captain America. So while he may not quite be Jack Bauer, he's more Dean Martin than Jerry Lewis...dare I say approaching Frank Sinatra territory? Don't forget, Tony also possesses the genius that built the Iron Man armor, and three beautiful yet deadly SHIELD agents (posing as his "traveling companions") backing him up. Plus the armor is in geosynchronous orbit above, waiting to be called down in a dire emergency, although that has to be a last resort, because once it enters the fray; the you-know-what has hit the fan!

NRAMA: The solicit talks of Tony's mission - what's that all about, and when you're the director of SHIELD, why do you still go on missions by yourself? Is he borrowing a page from the Nick Fury playbook?

CG: Yes, and as we've seen, Tony is very reluctant to send others into harm's way when he can go himself. Plus there's a necessary element of subterfuge involved. But don't forget the team of foxy, flight-suited vixens backing him up!

NRAMA: You keep mentioning them… For you, this is your second run 'round with Iron Man - what's the attraction of the character for you?

CG: I just think he's one of the more interesting characters in the Marvel library right now. He voluntarily chose to take on the toughest role there is. He's Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men -- you want him on that wall, you need him on that wall -- but Tony has a conscience (though some fans might argue that point), so when he has to choose between options knowing that either one means innocent people die, it's just a question of which is less horrible, it cuts him to his core. I would never have the cojones to do what he's doing...but he saw that someone had to, so he stepped up.

NRAMA: As you see him, what's changed about Tony Stark since Civil War?

CG: He's got a lot more responsibility. The days of cruising the Riviera, flashing his chest hair at heiresses and supermodels are gone. He's got the weight of the world on his shoulders...quite literally! Plus the deaths of Captain America and Goliath still haunt him...and now that he won the Civil War, it's basically on him whether superhumans will be accepted by the nation at large, or whether he'll mess it up and the government will be dusting off those old Sentinels.

NRAMA: We've talked before, and, despite what he's done in Civil War, you're still pretty pro Tony and Iron Man. What do you say to fans who look at the character, along with everything he did in CW, and call him a douche? What, in your view, aren't they seeing about the character?

CG: In my view, they're seeing things from the point of view of an omniscient reader as opposed to someone who actually lives in the Marvel Universe. We have the luxury of knowing that the majority of super-heroes are good people who don't need to be registered or monitored to use their powers responsibly. But if my daily commute got interrupted by people who shoot lasers out of their eyes, I'd damn well want somebody keeping them honest. Tony is the guy who makes the hard choices so other people don't have to. He doesn't always make the right choice, but that's always been one of the things that drew me to the character -- he has flaws. However, when he makes a mess, he tries to clean it up, and that's about all you can ask. The way I articulated Tony's stance (as well as Cap's) in the Casualties of War special (reprinted in the Iron Man Civil War TPB...tell 'em CNG sent ya!) still stands for me. Neither one is all wrong or all right, and both positions are valid.

NRAMA: Back to this Annual - Bloodscream and Roughhouse? Yow - little refresher course on who they are?

CG: Bloodscream and Roughhouse are old Wolverine foes who historically work for whoever's running things in Madripoor...and they gave Logan all he could ask for back in the day. Roughhouse is, as his name implies, a powerhouse with super-strength and durability...what's not commonly known is that he's a displaced Asgardian. He may not be at Thor's power level, but given what Thor just did to Iron Man, he probably doesn't need to be. Bloodscream is a sort of variant on the vampire -- he feeds on the life forces of others by literally pulling the blood out of their body with his touch, and he can't be killed by any weapon forged by mortal man. So they're pretty tough customers, armor or no armor!

NRAMA: Fair enough, so send us off with a tease - what are we looking at here, stakes-wise - if Tony wins, order prevails...if Tony loses?

CG: If Tony loses, Hydra has an entire nation and all its resources to itself, plus the freedom to operate with impunity because no one else can stop them...while Tony Stark is dead, and nobody can do anything about it, because he wasn't supposed to be there in the first place. Ah, the glamorous life of a spy...

Iron Man: Director of SHIELD Annual #1 is due in stores on November 21st.
    [/hide:db176b772d]

Criações clássica do Claremont. Legal.
    No pro bono for boning a pro.

Comment

Gosto muito dos dois, Sanguinário e Baderna.

http://twitter.com/adailtonba2

Comment

Tinha postado esse preview no tópico de Might Avengers há um mês, já que não achei que chegava a merecer tópico só pra ele!

Mas ta muito doido, agora soltaram mais páginas!

Seguinte:

A mitologia do Wolverine em Madripoor é COMPLETAMENTE DUCARALHO! Cidade Alta e Baixa, Crime organizado, Gangues rivais, polícia corrupta, Tigre, Víbora, Sanguinário e Baderna! Tudo FODA!

Aí fazem esta CONVERGÊNCIA espetacular com a mitologia do Homem de Ferro, que por sua vez é quase tão legal com o Wolverine! Porradão comendo na ilha asiática, Extremis, Armadura em órbita... É NOTA 10, com certeza!

Comment

Não curti muito os desenhos. Quem é esse artista?
          THE TRUTH IS STILL OUT THERE...

Comment

Postado originalmente por FLUFFY
            Tinha postado esse preview no tópico de Might Avengers há um mês, já que não achei que chegava a merecer tópico só pra ele!

Seguinte:

A mitologia do Wolverine em Madripoor é COMPLETAMENTE DUCARALHO! Cidade Alta e Baixa, Crime organizado, Gangues rivais, polícia corrupta, Tigre, Víbora, Sanguinário e Baderna! Tudo FODA!

Aí fazem esta CONVERGÊNCIA espetacular com a mitologia do Homem de Ferro, que por sua vez é quase tão legal com o Wolverine! Porradão comendo na ilha asiática, Extremis, Armadura em órbita... É NOTA 10, com certeza!
            Baixou o canibal aí?

Comment

Postado originalmente por FLUFFY

Seguinte:

Sem falar no time de agentes daq SHIELD junto com Tony. Somente mulheres!

Comment

Eu imito o Canibal de vez em quando porque sou fã dele. Esse jeito de ESCREVER colocando palavras CHAVE em letras MAIÚSCULAS é muito legal!

Comment

Será que o Stark vai dar uma pirocada na Víbora?

Comment

Legalzinho. Quando sair vou comprar pra ler no banheiro.
                    Meu mais novo romance autobiográfico: "Pra um cara não muito esperto, você até que não é tão burro!" Sobre mim e eu escrevi! Autobiográfico!

Comment

Está comprovado. Tony Stark é o novo Wolverine. Além do fator de cura fuderoso, de se multiplicar e aparecer em quase todas as revistas da Marvel, agora tá até interagindo com os coadjuvantes do velho canadense.

Comment

Postado originalmente por Kauê
                        Está comprovado. Tony Stark é o novo Wolverine. Além do fator de cura fuderoso, de se multiplicar e aparecer em quase todas as revistas da Marvel, agora tá até interagindo com os coadjuvantes do velho canadense.
                        É a força do icone!

http://twitter.com/adailtonba2

Comment

Caralho que exagero a marombice do Stark
                          http://www.formspring.me/Douglaco
                          http://www.delatim.com.br

Comment

Deve ser o extremis

Comment

Postado originalmente por Kauê
                              Tenho achado muito oportuna esta atual e recorrente mistura dos personagens! Os dois são os mais legais da Marvel, nada mais coerente do que estarem sempre juntos! Desde que o Tony convidou o Logan pros Vingadores tem sido assim!

Nas atuais histórias do Wolverine publicadas no Brasil os atritos entre os dois no caso da perseguição ao Nitro tem sido sensacionais! Na última edição é fantástica a cena em que o Wolverine veste uma armadura emprestada do Stark pra dar porrada o Namor!

Já na revista do Ferroso, os dois voltam a se tretar, culminando no auge da história em que o Tony rasga a roupa, veste a exoderme dourada, peita o Wolverine e chama o baixinho pro fight! Só que o Logan arrega, infelizmente! Taí uma briga boa, e eu nem sei em quem apostar ou pra qual torcer!

Comment

Working...
                              X