X

• Filter
  • Hora
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnny Lee: "Nintendo é foda! Sony e MS fedem!"

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Sto...838.htm?Page=1

GI: Did you gravitate toward the Wii because of the system itself, or was it simply a good way to get all of the components in a relatively inexpensive package?

Lee: Probably more of the latter. I do play video games and I like video games, but I was much more excited about the capabilities of the controller than I was the Wii game console itself. It’s amazingly impressive that Nintendo just allowed the ability to connect it to a computer over Bluetooth, which I think has been great for both the hobby community as well as the research community. It’s a pretty amazing piece of engineering, containing a high-speed infrared camera, accelerometer, plus it has Bluetooth communication, a vibration motor, speaker, buttons—and it does this all running off two AA batteries for a long time. If you had talked about this a few months before it was released, I probably would have said it could not have been done, given my exposure to research. But they did it, and I was massively impressed.
    GI: As a video-game player, what do you think of the gaming landscape now? Do you think there’s an acceptable level of innovation going on in the industry?

Lee: I definitely think that, at least among the traditional gaming platforms—maybe not on the Wii, but on the Xbox and the PlayStation—the way they’re going about providing a gaming experience is sort of an asymptotic experience, where they’re doing a very good job at it, but they’re not really evolving very far beyond that. To me, probably the most interesting stuff that’s going to happen to gaming in the future will be with new ways to control or interact with the system, either physically or using input devices. So actually I think games are one of the most interesting places to explore new computer-interaction techniques. I think the Wii is a particularly good step toward that, but I thing there’s still a long way to go.

I think developers are really excited about trying to explore these new ideas, but some of the skill sets that I think are good at making joypad games are going to take a while to appreciate and flesh out the capabilities of new controllers. Even on the Wii, you can see that some of these games are essentially joypad games that are retrofitted to the Wii controller. It works, but it’s not necessarily the best use of the controller.

GI: Have you played around with the Sixaxis controller at all?

Lee: Yes, I played with it. The games that I played that do use the accelerometer in it are cute , and they’re pretty well done, but I think the physical aspect of the joypad controller as it is has a certain affordance to the way it wants to be held and used. It’s sort of limited to roll and tilt. I think the remote-control form factor of the Wii lends itself better to more freeform movement.
    GI: Have you talked with anyone at Nintendo about your work?

Lee: I haven’t officially talked with anyone at Nintendo. To some degree, I think it’s almost in their best interest not to officially endorse or condemn what I’m doing, simply because the game industry is very hype-oriented, so if they say anything about it, people will jump all over it and expectations might get set in the wrong direction. I know a bunch of developers who are working on Wii games are interested in exploring it seriously, so we might see some games, hopefully sooner than later.

GI: If you could get Nintendo to make one significant change to its hardware, what would you ask for?

Lee: That’s a hard question. There’s nothing that immediately jumps out to me, I think mostly because it’s an odd question to ask—it’s a very weird hypothetical, and I think the industry is already trying to catch up to the capability that it has built into it. Granted, it may not be the most powerful graphically, but from an interaction standpoint the accelerometer is being underused in games. Most people are using it for shake recognition. The pointer, the camera, has the capability to track up to four points, but most of the games are only using two points. Also, most of the games are only using one controller per person, but you could also use two controllers per person and get some more control out of that. So there’s a lot of stuff that they’re not doing that it could do. If anything, they already have more capabilities than they need at the moment.
    GI: These next few questions are related to your head-tracking video. Do you think that kind of tracking would be especially difficult to implement in a game? It seems as though it might be taxing once applied to a 3D world.

Lee: From a pure technical standpoint, it’s trivial. My code uses Direct X and there are maybe only 100 lines of code to make that work. Assuming that the game consoles have the capability of doing that type of rendering—because it’s a slightly different type of rendering to make it look like it’s really 3D; you can move the camera around, but that’s not quite what I’m doing—if they’re willing to and they have the software code to do that and they’re willing to bundle some hardware, like IR glasses, then it’s trivial for them to make a game. Whether or not it’s perhaps taxing as a game player to use it for a long time, I’m not entirely sure yet. There seems to be a lot of enthusiasm around making games that get people moving around and getting involved in the experience, so it might be tiring but that might be a good aspect of playing the game.

It’s up to the developer also to determine how to apply this technique. In software, they can apply a scaler, and small movements translate to big movements in a game, so they can choose or leave it up to player preference. So it’s essentially head-motion sensitivity that you would set. From a technical standpoint, it would be easy to make a game, but it’s up to the developers to use it properly.

GI: Does the head tracking only work in first-person experiences, or would it be effective in a StarFox type game or in God of War-like gameplay?

Lee: I think it’s most compelling in a first-person point of view, but it’s still very useful for third person or other games—even in a side-scrolling platforming game. What it does is give you motion parallax, which is the technical term, which is essentially the way objects occlude with each other when you move your head. So it gives you a better sense of space, which any game that has space involved in it could probably benefit from a head-tracking system.

GI: Do you think 3-dimensional technology is the next step in entertainment? It seems like it’s something that people revisit every so often, but it hasn’t been used in any widely successful applications.

Lee: I think a lot of people are really interested in trying to bring realistic 3D experiences into the home, because it’s sort of the next step beyond television. I think where it’s been sort of a difficult or an uphill battle—or even a failure—in the past is because usually it requires specialized hardware that’s not in everyone’s home already. The nice thing about the Wii is that it’s already in 13-million homes, at least, so most of the hardware is there to do this.

I’ve heard from some technical developers that this is re-exciting the 3D-technology community, and even people who are working on 3D shutter glasses are wondering if they can make them for the Wii Remote or the Nintendo Wii console. That’s entirely speculation at the moment, but essentially it’s a chicken and the egg problem. If you can get the hardware in the homes to do this, then you can make content for it. Hopefully, I think it’ll come. It’ll be up to how well people can adopt the technology if it’s successful or not.
    If drums are the foundation, guitars the finishes, and voice the fluorish; bass is the soul.

Who is Jhony Lee?

Patchanka's father?
    TAKEZO INC. = FAIL

Comment

Tá precisando fazer o dever de casa de moderador, Takezo. Tem um tópico sobre o Johnny Lee:

http://www.mbbforum.com/mbb/viewtopic.php?t=14161
      If drums are the foundation, guitars the finishes, and voice the fluorish; bass is the soul.

Comment

Postado originalmente por Takezo
        Who is Jhony Lee?

Patchanka's father?
        http://baudejogos.vetorialnet.com.br...id=10180&num=8
        Giovanni Giorgio

Comment

Who is Jhony Lee?

Patchanka's father?

Comment

Postado originalmente por Patchanka
            Tá precisando fazer o dever de casa de moderador, Takezo. Tem um tópico sobre o Johnny Lee:

É só mais um desses cavaleiros da triste figura que pululam por aí. Que relevância tem um cara desses pra ter dois tópicos aqui?
            Você tá de brinks com a galera, champz!
            TAKEZO INC. = FAIL

Comment

A Nintendo tem que contratar logo esse cara. Ele será o novo Miyamoto.

Comment

Postado originalmente por Patchanka

É só mais um desses cavaleiros da triste figura que pululam por aí. Que relevância tem um cara desses pra ter dois tópicos aqui?
                Você tá de brinks com a galera, champz!
                Vai ver os vídeos do cara no YouTube e depois a gente conversa.

Comment

Eu já vi os vídeos, nada de relevante.

Logo ele vai inventar de enfiar um Wii mote no cu pra fazer cocô virtual.
                  TAKEZO INC. = FAIL

Comment

Comment

Pô, Takezo, deixa esse ódio de lado. Abra seu coraçãozinho!!

O cara é realmente GENIAL! E eu torço para que ele tenha um futuro nesta industria vital...

Comment

Fala sério, leitão. Às vezes acho que você é acionista da Sony, só pode...

Comment

Postado originalmente por Scott Summers
                          Fala sério, leitão. Às vezes acho que você é acionista da Sony, só pode...
                          Isso não tem nada a ver com a questão SonyXNintendoX360. Eu sempre preguei que não vejo a imersão como uma boa inovação para os games. Pra mim os jogos bom é aquele que eu jogo fazendo calos nos dedos. Mesmo a Eye Toy da Sony, ninguém me vê falando maravilhas dela aqui.

A Nintendo mesmo vai lançar um jogo chamado Wild Afrikan ou algo assim. O que você tem que fazer no jogo é tirar fotos. Somente tirar fotos de bichos. Se pensar que em Metal Gear eu tenho que usar uma Sniper pra localizar o The End e fazer o jogo avançar, é muito deprimente isso. Ou mesmo Fatal Frame, que tirar fotos faz parte de um enredo linear e sensacional.

Sonystas tirando barato de um veado Nintendista. Abutres Caixistas assistem.
                          TAKEZO INC. = FAIL

Comment

Sonystas tirando barato de um veado Nintendista. Abutres Caixistas assistem.

Comment

Acho que o Takezo confundiu com Afrika, que vai sair para o PS3....

E o Takezo parece aqueles velhos, "no meu tempo é que se fazia videogame de verdade...".

Comment

Working...
                              X